Picture a spinning top that has swirls of color - that was my mind. Never mind what the intent was - I heard boards. To me, at that moment, a board was wood and I pictured Daniel Essig's work. I didn't have a board. What could I fabricate? The Top was spinning at warp speed by this time.
One thing led to another and I asked my husband cut a piece of left over hard wood flooring into 4 - 6" lengths. He did. I glued two each together with wood glue - I had the beginning of two wood book covers (boards).
| 4 1/2" x 5 5/8" x 1 5/8" |
Glue two 6" long pieces of wood flooring side by side
Remove unneeded tabs
Sand all edges and sides
Do what you will with it
| The pattern of the drilled holes and associated tunnels can be seen below. |
| Wrapped Long Stitch - 8 Signatures |
| Edges were filled with bits of tumbled Abalone Shell. The signature sheets (4/signature) were torn to size from a large artist's paper tablet. |
What I did:
- I sanded the sides.- Made grooves in the wood using my Dremel (front and backs) so all stitches would sit in the grooves and not create unsightly bumps in the cover paper.
- Cut out a window that recesses halfway into the wood (I used a way cool Dremel Trio)
- Painted insides the recess, glued a sand dollar, sea oats and chips of mica
- Cut mica for the window and nailed it in place with copper nails
- Glued tiny pieces of tumbled abalone shell inside the front edges of the covers
- Sewed the signatures in a gathered long stitch
- Sewed a "caterpillar" on the front and back
- Assembled
| Planning is important here. The holes for the Caterpillar Stitch were made at the same time the holes were drilled for the binding. |
No comments:
Post a Comment